Sun Dried Tomatoes are ripe tomatoes that have been dried in the sun until most of their water content has evaporated. They are deep red in color with a chewy texture and intense flavor. In Italy they used to be placed to dry on the tile roofs of houses.
They are rich in anti oxidants, vitamin C and lycopene and low in fat and calories, and to make 1 pound of sun dried tomatoes you need about 20 pounds of fresh tomatoes.
They are great to snack on and absolutely divine in a risotto.
Here is my extra creamy version of Sun Dried Tomato Risotto!
(serves 4 )
- 1 1/2 c arborio rice
- 2.5 oz Sun Dried Tomatoes
- 2 tbs EV olive oil +3 Tbs butter
- 1 tbs cold butter
- 1/2 c minced onion
- 1/2 c white wine
- 5 c hot vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 c Parmigiano Reggiano -freshly grated
- 8 basil leaves -thinly sliced
1. Rehydrate your tomatoes by pouring the 5 cups of hot stock over them and let it sit for 20 min. Reserve the stock and chop the tomatoes.
2. Heat up the olive oil and butter on med flame in a wide saute pan and sweat the onions with a pinch of sea salt for 10 min until softened and translucent.
Stir in the arborio rice and let cook until it becomes opaque(3 min).
3. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon until absorbed but do not let the rice dry out completely. Add the tomatoes then start adding the stock a ladle at a time stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Once the stock has been absorb add another ladle full. You want to maintain a constant ripple during this process and never let the rice dry out completely.
Continue until the grains are tender, season with sea salt and remove from heat. Stir in 1 tbs cold butter, the basil and the parmigiano reggiano and serve.
Tip: You can find wonderful Sun Dried Tomatoes at MySpiceSage.com