Blueberry Muffin Cake Recipe Video
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure policy.
How to make a simple lemon blueberry muffin cake at home, perfect for breakfast, a birthday and heck even a wedding If I get to choose. Instead of the usual streusel topping you can actually whip up a quick lemon glaze to pour all over the top. I did both, because It was the weekend and I’ve heard calories don’t count until Monday. So there, extra glaze and streusel for everyone!
In a nutshell this is my cake like version of the blueberry ricotta muffins, because Ricotta and Olive Oil run my world Forever and Ever!
Feel free to bring out your special cake flour for this one, tough I’ll be honest, I used all purpose organic because I’m simple like that. Cake like texture achieved like a boss, no trouble and no extra grocery store trips in my pajamas and flip flops.
You are welcome!
When making the lemon glaze make sure to whisk the lemon juice and sugar together very well until extra smooth. If it turns out too thin then add a little more sugar. If too thick then add a couple more drops of lemon juice. Simple as that.
Please have patience and allow the cake the cool off completely before you pour the glaze over the top. Don’t be like me basically, or things will get messy. Still the best and really delicious but messy. Whatever rocks your world tough 😉
I’m sure I’ve said it at least a dozen times before, but I’ll say it again: ricotta is everything you guys ! You wanna bake something special, use ricotta! Ricotta is your best baking buddy forever and ever!
To make is as wholesome as possible I use olive oil as my fat of choice and let me tell you: It’s so Fluffy!
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 lb fresh blueberries
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp organic milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon - zested
- 4 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp butter cold
- Preheat your oven to 375 “F
- In a mixing bowl whisk together 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the baking powder and sea salt. Gently stir in the blueberries and set aside.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, 3/4 cup of sugar, olive oil, vanilla extract, ricotta cheese and the milk.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and gently fold it together.
- Prepare a springform cake pan and using a dab of soft butter coat the inside and the sides of the pan.
- Pour the muffin cake mixture inside and set it on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine the 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar with 2 tbsp of flour. Grate the cold butter on top and using your fingers work it into the flour and sugar mixture until it looks like coarse sand.
- Sprinkle the topping over the muffin cake and bake in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.
- Allow to cool before removing from the spring form pan.
- Optional: Use a favorite stencil and sprinkle the top with powder sugar once the cake has cooled down completely.
- In a medium bowl combine together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest. Whisk until combined and silky smooth.
You’ll Also Love:
What size springform pan should be used?
I used a 9 inch.
Made this glorious cake,.. yumm
I’m curious can u freeze this cake, so I can get ready for the fall season
Thank you n looking forward to yor reply
I have not frozen this cake Franny but I don’t see why not. Give it a try with a big slice tonight if you have any left and defrost in the morning. Let me know how it goes ~ Florentina
This cake is INCREDIBLE!!!
Quickly one of my favorites to bake with blueberries.
So happy to hear this Magdalena! It is such an easy breakfast cake to throw together in no time. Ricotta is everything 😉 ~Florentina
This sounds like a very interesting cake.
Oh my goodness! I need to make this ASAP! I will have to make it next week after our move. My pans are all packed at the moment! Blueberry and ricotta sound like an amazing combination!
This cake is outstanding, the texture is amazing!
This cake looks delicious!! I love baking with ricotta!
Can you please tell me the amount of Olive OIl ? It is the only measurement that came out as a square ( no number)
Hi Bette, you will need 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil. Not sure why the measurement isn’t displaying for you correctly, might be your browser. Enjoy baking the muffin cake ~ Florentina Xo’s