The best and easy leek potato gratin recipe made with cream, thyme, chives and finished with a layer of mushroom jack cheese.
Sauteed leeks and paper thin sliced golden potatoes are the star in this comforting vegetarian potato and leek gratin, a dish originated in French cuisines that spread all over the world.
I used my mandoline slicer to slice the potatoes so thin you could read the morning paper through them. Then I saute the leeks until they start to get some color and layer all the goodies in a shallow baking dish.
Because a leek potato gratin screams comfort, I whisked together some heavy cream with a large egg yolk and chives for a custardy like finish to pour over the top.
Sprinkled with gooey mushroom jack cheese this is what comfort food and chilly winter days are all about. No flour needed.
Leek Potato Gratin Variations:
- replace the mushroom jack cheese with gruyere
- finish with a dab of truffle butter or truffle oil
- replace the leeks with sauteed broccoli or mushrooms
- add a thin layer of ricotta or goat cheese between the potatoes and veggies
- make them vegan scalloped potatoes, super delicious, completely dairy-free and good for you!
What to serve with:
Leek Potato Gratin Recipe
- 1 lb golden potatoes scrubbed well
- 2 leeks
- 1/2 tsp sea salt + more to taste
- 7 oz jack cheese with mushrooms shredded
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk large
- 1/3 c fresh chives snipped
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves only
- 1 pinch nutmeg freshly grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- Preheat your oven to 350”F
- Slice the leeks lengthwise then slice it crosswise. Add them to a bowl with cold water. Stir to rinse well and allow them to stay in the water for a few minutes. All the grit and dirt will fall to the bottom of the bowl.
- Use your hands and scoop out the leeks from the water and drain them on a kitchen towel.
- Preheat a large skillet on medium low flame. Add a lug of olive oil and the leeks with a pinch of sea salt. Saute until wilted and they start to het some color. Adjust seasonings to taste with more sea salt and black pepper. Set aside
- Using a mandoline thinly slice the potatoes. Sprinkle all over the top with a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Use your hand and butter a large gratin dish including the sides. (You can use 2 small gratin dishes if you wish)
- Layer the thinly slice potatoes on the bottom of the gratin dish overlapping each other. Scoop the sauteed leeks and spread them on top of the potato slices. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the heavy cream with the egg yolk, a dash of nutmeg and the chives. Pour over the leeks. Sprinkle with the grated mushroom jack cheese and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake the leek potato gratin in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes, remove the foil and cook another 10 minutes or so until the cheese is golden on top.